[Mgs] Stumbling / stalling ignition issue?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Stumbling / stalling ignition issue?
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:28:44 -0500
Hi all,
        I just got back from a trip to and from work. Less than 20 miles each
way. At
about 10 miles each way, I was getting some stumbling.

        The terrain varied, slight incline/decline or flat. Speed was constant,
sometimes a lift off the throttle for traffic.

        The symptoms were 3000-3500 rpm, the tach would bounce down to
1500-2000,
and then back up. A couple of times it dropped to 1000.

        It happened 3 times in a row on the trip home, within about 3-4
minutes, so I
was ready and paying attention. The ignition light did not come on, ever.

        I decided after that to get off the highway and take surface roads the
last 4
or so miles. And I got another stall at 2000-2500 rpm. I downshifted to 3rd
and the car restarted.

        At a stoplight, the car did stall. It took 20-30 seconds of cranking to
start. Normally, the car starts within 10 seconds cold, and 2-3 seconds warm.

        I got home without further trouble.

        The car is a 1977 MGB, I have a pertronix distributor, that I put on
new last
year. A pertronix coil, that's 8-9 years old. Ignition wires are 8-9 years
old. Dual SU (HIF) conversion.
Alternator replaced to summers ago.

        I'm in the middle of my second tank of gas for the season, I did put in
a can
of heat. The oil is fresh, changed last weekend.   Oh, as a side note. I used
NAPA high milage oil. It's made by Ashland, which is Valvoline. Anyway, it was
rated SL/SJ. Not SM. Napa Gold filter.

        I recently put in a plumbing ball valve in place of the stock heater
valve. I
don't see any leaking there, but I'll check it again. I do have to pull it
apart, I put the valve in backward for the cable to work.

        I'm going to go and do a fuel delivery test (1 imp qt per minute), and
look
things up on Paul Hunt's web site. Oh, and check the rotor and cap.

        What else?

Paul.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html