[Mgs] Clutch & whatnot

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Clutch & whatnot
From: Mike Eldred <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:25:05 -0400
Listers,

I'm getting ready to R & R the clutch on my '73 midget.  Does anyone have an
opinion as to whether it's easier or better to remove just the engine, or the
engine & gearbox together.  My initial thought was that pulling the two
together would be easier - mainly because access to the mounting hardware
would be easier.  (I have a grease pit, and can easily get at the transmission
mount bolts & propeller shaft.)

My second thought is that removing the engine alone might mean more blind
wrench turning in hard to reach places (and maybe not) but the actual
extraction and replacement would be easier.   And since I have the grease pit,
swapping out the slave cylinder & throwout bearing with the transmission in
situ shouldn't be too difficult.

Your thoughts?

-Mike Eldred

Wilmington, VT