Re: [Mgs] retorque

To: "Ed Woods" <fogbro1@comcast.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] retorque
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:48:58 +0100
What have you torqued it to initially?  The only instruction I have come
across is to retorque to the initial figures, where it is done at all.  V8s
have aluminium heads and there are no special instructions for that compared
to the 4-cylinder.  What you *should* do though is back the nut off just
enough to get it moving before retorquing, as it needs more torque to get it
started from stiction of the threads than it is applying to the gasket.
*Don't* back the nuts right off to finger tight before retorquing, there is
no point and as most head removal instructions say to undo them gradually in
rotation to prevent warping it sounds positively dangerous to me.

PaulH.