Re: [Mgs] How to refill Gaitor

To: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] How to refill Gaitor
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:26:50 +0100
Are you sure it was the clamp and not a split gaiter?  Far more likely, and
it can also leak from the seals for the upper and lower parts of where the
pinion is, and the damper cover plate.  If the clamp is defective simply
replace it with a cable tie.  Use a small oil can of the type with a trigger
and narrow spout inserted under one end of the gaiter with the clamp
loosened.  Personally I do it at the top of the large end whilst clamping
the lower part of the gaiter onto the rack housing with my other hand as
that allows more to go in before it overflows.  Put some in, about a third
or a half, then clamp all round the gaiter with your hand while you work the
rack *slowly* from one lock to the other to distribute it to the other end
of the rack.  1/3 Imperial pint, .19 Litre, .39 US pint.

PaulH.