Re: [Mgs] Burned Victor

To: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Burned Victor
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 03:08:28 -0500
I'm the practical type.  I want to know how it happened, so someone
might avoid it in the future.  For a fire like that you need fuel, a
fair amount of it loose where it should not be.  Something like a
loose or burst fuel line, so when you switch it on and wait a few
seconds to the carbs to fill, the electric fuel pump might dump out
some fuel before you crank it to start.  Even then you need an
ignition source in the vacinity of the loose fuel.  Car engines and
electrical parts do not normally make external sparks, but an open
exhaust up front might do it.  Probably never know now, after the
fact, but it may beg for a close inspection anyway.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

At 07:02 PM 8/19/2010 -0500, Rocky Frisco (The Roxter) wrote:
>Turned the ignition key last Friday and the MG ignited. Big burst of
>flame from under the car, fire everywhere, grass on fire all around the car.
>All restricted to the engine compartment, no damage to the body.
>Hoses, wires, fuel pump, battery all melted. Carbs ruined. I suspect
>radiator damage too.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75