[Mgs] Flat towing

Subject: [Mgs] Flat towing
From: barneymg at mgaguru.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:42:58 -0600
The obligation for safety chains is across the hitch connection at
the towing vehicle.  That means across the hitch ball coupling (if it
is a ball).  I suppose it is rashly assumed that the hitch mechanism
is securely attached to the towed vehicle, as would be the case when
towing a trailer.  I'm not sure if regulators would be sharp enough
to define the required coupling between a tow bar and a towed vehicle.