Re: [Mgs] front end diagnosis

To: mike@duvallvideo.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] front end diagnosis
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:37:12 GMT
  Well, if I were facing that problem, first thing I would do would be to
brush the dirt off the crossmember bolts,  then  I would drop the crossmember
and have a good look at the entire front suspension. Any sort of strange noise
in a robust suspension design is rather worrying.  It could be that the damper
is dry, in which case the wheel is pumping up and down, possibly loosening the
bolts and causing the threads to strip when the bolt is almost out of the
hole, or  It could be that the damper is frozen internally, in which case
there is the irresistible force pushing on the immovable object, bending or
breaking or stripping something.  R&R of the springs is often done with the
Xmember in the car, but with the right spring compressor tool it's an easy job
with the Xmember on the garage floor. Once apart, testing of the dampers can
be done, or just get rebuilts from Peter Caldwell and send him your cores.  If
the swivel pins are loose, Moss has complete kits ready to install. This is
opportunity to replace the rubber bits with Pro-thane and to clean up the
entire unit.   We are coming up on second weekend in March. In two or three
days, you can have it out, apart, new bits installed, reinstalled and be as
good as new, certainly having it all done by the end of the month.   One of
our club members had an exciting adventure following a half-done chase of
strange clunking noises. I have been much more cautious about them since.Bob