Re: [Mgs] MG6 Review [GPS]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG6 Review [GPS]
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:16:25 -0700
I was going by a published article that broke down a $499 iPhone and priced
out all the components. My recollection is that it came to over $120.

So I'm not just guessing -- at least I have a reference point...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 3/28/11 5:09 PM, Murray Arundell at arundell@ghs.com.au wrote:

> Max,
>
> You'd be staggered if you knew the real cost of mobile phone hardware,
> let alone the GPS etc.  Maybe $10.00 is too little, but I can assure
> you $100.00 is too much.
>

> Murray G. Arundell
> Managing Director
> GHS Pty Ltd
> Glaziers Hardware Supplies
> Brisbane, Australia
> Phone:  +617 3277 1255
> Fax:      +617 3875 1256
> Email:   arundell@ghs.com.au
>
> On 29/03/2011, at 9:54 AM, Max Heim wrote:
>
>> Um, I am sure it is quite a bit more than $10.
>>
>> Just the 7 to 9 inch LCD screen is going to cost more than that,
>> even at OEM
>> prices. Then you have a fairly powerful embedded processor, a
>> proprietary
>> operating system and the GPS receiver. Parts-wise, I would imagine
>> it was
>> similar to an iPhone, minus the fancy case and battery -- say, $100.
>>
>> You are right about the profit motive -- that's why they include it as
>> standard equipment -- because the "perceived value" lets them raise
>> the
>> price of the car. Not necessarily public demand for that particular
>> feature.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Max Heim
>> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
>> If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>> it's the primer red one with chrome wires

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive