[Mgs] Sleeved Thermostats

Subject: [Mgs] Sleeved Thermostats
From: barneymg at mgaguru.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:50:09 -0600
Last I checked Moss only had one in 160dF temperature rating.  It may
be okay for summer driving (when it works about the same as no
thermostat at all), but is generaly useless for cold weather when the
engine will not warn up adequately, and you will get very little heat
from the heater.  Keep in mind that the thermostat only controls the
minimum operating temperature.  Once coolant temperature rises 5 to
10 degrees above the thermostat rating it has no more affect on
engine operating temperature.  A low temperature thermostat is not a
cure for high engine running temperature.

I did run one of the Moss moving sleeve 160dF thermostats in my car
for one summer.  It had no affect on warm weather operating
temperature which normally runs in the 190-200dF range (slightly
higher so very hot days) . When winter hit the engine would not warm
up enough to run right without a little choke, so I tossed it
out.  (I still have it if you would like to try it).  I installed a
higher temperature thermostat for good winter running and good heater
output.  195dF thermostat makes for good winter driving but causes
carburetor probelms in hot weather.  I then installed a 180dF
thermostat (Chevy part) with a blanking sleeve.  This works as well
as anything all year round (except a little less heat in
winter).  The blanking sleeve has minimal affect on running
temperature, perhaps a few degrees lower at best, certainly not a
cure for hot running engine.  I suppose the blanking sleeve is best
reserved for a race car running no thermostat.