Re: [Mgs] windshields

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Mgs] windshields
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:11:01 GMT
---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "Paul Root" <ptrmgb@gmail.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:43:51 +0100

  Spring, a year ago, I replaced the windscreen of my GT.  It was clear,
aftermarket glass that was in the car when I bought it, in 1994.
  In the 45,000 miles I drove behind that glass, it got so pitted that the car
was almost undriveable in setting sun or night time conditions. There was a
distortion on the passenger side that did not affect the driver's view of the
road but it was distracting to the passenger.  Alas, I don't have it now so I
cannot tell you its brand as one to avoid.
 The replacement was a Triplex tinted, NOS that I bought a few years back.,
and saved it for future use.  This is ever so much nicer to drive behind. It's
tinted and free of distortion, a far nicer piece of glass.
  The Triplex is thicker, too.  I do not know that this is true, but I have
heard it said that today's glass is thinner and that the rubber has smaller
groove for the glass.  It was said, a year ago, that MacGregor had rubber for
the thicker glass. That may or may not be so, but after waiting six months for
the back order, I bought Moss's rubber and set to work.
  Installation was more difficult that I expected. It's no treat for open
cars, but I expected the GT to be easier. It's not, at least with this glass
and this rubber and the fiddly refitting of the aluminium trim.
  But it's all done, and very nice. The cabin is quieter and there are no
leaks.
Bob

On my replacement screen the bottom corners were cut back slightly.  Fits
the same frame and rubber, in those corners you can see the cut back edge as
it appears to be only just covered by the rubber.  Being in the UK and going
on organised runs it sees plenty of rain.  The only leaks *are* in those
corners, very slight, but appear to be coming under the rubber rather than
between rubber and glass.

Triplex came out of Pilkington in 1923, Pilkington itself dating back to
1826, the two companies concentrating on different product and market areas.
I think it more likely that the after-market is 'cheap', with all that that
implies.  You pays your money ...

PaulH.