[Mgs] MG Reno show

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] MG Reno show
From: Don <don@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:42:03 -0700
Just got back from Reno where we went to the big MG car event.  On
the way there on Wednesday afternoon, we were caught in the worst
traffic jam I have ever experienced.  We (wife and me) were
unfortunate victims of the horrible traffic jam caused by road
construction on Hwy 80 going into Reno.  There was a stop-and-go
situation for about 30 miles.  I thought I was so smart- I had driven
my 2001 Miata SE, thinking the trip there would be comfortable and
stress-free.  Wrong.

The traffic jam was horrible and the ambient temperature was
warm.  After about ten miles of crawling, stop and go, the clutch
hydraulics quit working.  Clutch was engaged, would not release.  I
limped for several miles not being able to disengage the clutch,
would start it in gear and just go slow.  A K-rail separated the
divided highway and there were no places to pull off safely, so
seemed like it would be impossible to get help.  There were numerous
times I had to stop completely in the roadway, so would just shut the
engine off, and restart in 1st or 2nd and crawl some more.  I was
able to pull off the road about 20 miles short of Reno at the little
village of Floriston where there was an exit, and an exit on the
westbound side of Hwy 80 as well.  So at least it was safe and
accessible to a tow truck there.  We ended up waiting two hours for
AAA towing.  In the time we waited, the car and the outside
temperature both cooled off, and the clutch regained its
function.  But the traffic was still jammed out on the freeway, so I
couldn't just drive it into Reno as the conditions would surely have
caused the clutch to fail again.  Strangely, the fluid level in the
clutch master cylinder was/is fine.

Anyway, thank God for cell phones and AAA.  Got a nice flatbed truck
transport into Reno, right to the hotel.  I took a chance and didn't
do any repairs or take it to a shop.  Drove up 8 stories of the hotel
parking garage, and the clutch was fine.  Next day, drove it to the
MG show outside of Reno and it worked fine.  The big test was the 200
mile drive home.  Since I didn't get caught in traffic where I would
have to use the clutch, it worked fine, and I made it home.

I will rebuild or replace the clutch hydraulics of course.  I can't
help thinking the MG gods (or demons) had something to do with this
happening to me, since this clutch system is a copy of that used on MGs.

Here are a few photos of the Miata broken down with smiling wife, the
traffic jam on Hwy 80, and the great MG car show.  I got a couple
pics of Andy Preston and his fabulous MGA coupe (one of only 4 at the
show).  Another car that I found to be outstanding was a black '62
MGA Mk 2 De Luxe.  There were more MGTFs than I have ever seen in my
life, and all of them were gorgeous.  The cars that came from all
over the US and Canada astounded me for the owners' dedication and
devotion to the marque.  And some of the preserved cars and original
owner cars were really amazing to see.

I didn't take enough photos, and my choice of subjects was
limited.  I'm sure there will be much better pics of the show than
this, as my camera seemed to want to capture mainly early MGBs that
were done to a high standard, as that seems to be my current obsession.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104973305347633073496/MGsReno?authkey=Gv1sRgCPazmbqhpYarJw

Don Scott
Calistoga CA USA
1955 MGTF