[Mgs] backup light switch

Subject: [Mgs] backup light switch
From: mvheim at sonic.net (Max Heim)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:29:44 -0700
It's on the transmission, near the top, on one side of where the shift lever
comes out. I always forget which side, since there are two visually
identical switches, one on each side -- one is the OD lockout, and the other
is the reverse light. I assume a non-OD transmission has a plug in one
location.

>From the shift pattern, I'm guessing the reverse lamp switch is on the
driver side (NA).

My 66B has a removable cover on the tranny tunnel. Without that, it is
probably a little tight trying to reach it from the top though the shifter
hole. You might have to try it blind from the bottom. It's like a fat
screw-in plug that takes a very large wrench (1-inch?) .

If the light isn't working, the wire may not be hooked up, the tranny may
not be adequately grounded, or the switch may just need to be adjusted with
washers.

I should add, I have a 1977 OD transmission -- otherwise I wouldn't have a
reverse switch at all. I don't have any backup lights.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 9/14/11 11:20 AM, sdesalvo at frontiernet.net at sdesalvo at frontiernet.net