Re: [Mgs] Plastic Headlight Restoration

To: Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Plastic Headlight Restoration
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:04:28 -0800
Why yes I do.
The kit you linked to is the consumer grade kit from 3M.  They also have a
professional grade system that probably works a whole bunch better.
I have used the kits from BG, MOC and one or two others.
If the light is yellowed on the inside you are screwed.
If the outside surface of the light is deteriorated, but the inside is
good, then these kits can do some good.
I have never used the 3M professional system, but I know at least one car
maker endorses it in a technical service bulletin. I may have this at home
if you would like to read it.
All of these systems use a series of ever finer abrasives to clean the lens
and then usually a polish or in the case of the BG system, a UV protectent
to make the lens look good.
Where the 3M professional system varies is they have you use sand paper,
and then an HVLP paint sprayer to apply a clear coat on the face of the
lens.
In the TSB I read, the pictures really did make the headlights look brand
new.  The other products I have used make them look better, but not brand
new, that is for sure.
Hope this answers your questions.
Let me know if you want me to try and find that TSB
Rick