[Mgs] [MGS] Stromberg tuning/ repair

Subject: [Mgs] [MGS] Stromberg tuning/ repair
From: rpschauss at gmail.com (Peter Schauss)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 17:40:35 -0500
One more suggestion, AFTER you check the timing, but before you start trying
to tune the carburetor.  Check that your mechanic did not rip the diaphragm
while trying to set the mixture.  There is a special tool for adjusting the
needle.  One part keeps the dashpot from turning while the allen wrench
raise and lowers the needle.  If your mechanic did not use that tool, he may
have ripped the diaphragm.

My car is a bit different from yours since it is an '80 and I converted it
to dual HS4s with the old style intake in exhaust manifolds (something I
highly recommend, by the way).  New York exempts cars more than 25 years old
from the emission inspection but, before my car reached that age I was able
to get it to pass by splicing a generic catalytic converter in front of the
front muffler.  The car always passed the idle emission test with flying
colors.  If you are going to have to go through this drill every year, you
might want to consider something like this.

Peter Schauss
1980 MGB

Message: 8