Re: [Mgs] Moss SU fuel pump

To: "Peter Schauss" <rpschauss@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Moss SU fuel pump
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:45:03 -0000 cv=R50lirqlHffDPPkwUlkuVa99MrvKdVWo//yz83qex8g= c=1 sm=0 a=3NElcqgl2aoA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=2n7M46zMAXENR_4e-W4A:9 a=YvAwlrBc1UKlbfJcwn4A:7 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=HpAAvcLHHh0Zw7uRqdWCyQ==:117
Originally the MGB fuel pump used capacitor quenching which was not polarity
sensitive.  However it still resulted in some points burning, so a diode was
substituted towards the end of production which was much more effective, but
made them polarity sensitive.  These had an 'AZX' prefix.  Subsequently the
diode was replaced by a metal oxide varistor or transient voltage suppressor
which is not polarity sensitive, but uses the same part number as the
earlier negative earth diode i.e. polarity sensitive pump.  Some sources
still quote these as polarity sensitive, and even the supplier SU Burlen
were confusing at one time at least as the box stated 'dual polarity' but
the instructions inside stated 'All AZX pump are polarity sensitive'.  The
only way to be really sure what you have is to remove the electrical end
cap.  Diodes are black cylinders with one black and one red coming out of
one end.  MOV/TVS tend to be blue discs with two wires the same colour.

PaulH.