Re: [Mgs] soldering corroded copper

To: "'Rick Lindsay'" <rolindsay@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] soldering corroded copper
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 15:39:28 +0100
There is flux and flux.  Soldering flux i.e. in cored solder can only remove
microscopic layers of oxidisation from basically clean copper, it won't
remove corrosion.  Acid flux as in a paste typically contains hydrochloric
acid and may well be able to remove heavier corrosion, but then you have to
completely remove that flux or it continues to eat away at everything.  Wire
wool should be able to clean the copper rivets, also the copper tracks but
you may abrade them away.  In the past I've repaired fractured and burnt
tracks by wrapping a strand of copper round the component terminal and laid
it along the track for an inch or so.  Should be easy enough on a 69 vintage
circuit board, less so today!

PaulH.