Re: [Mgs] Drive shaft balanced

To: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Drive shaft balanced
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:01:22 -0700
Cc: "mgs@Autox.Team.Net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
U joints can fail in other ways than excessive play. Grabbing and wiggling in
place is not a comprehensive test.
Joints can and often do get the needles frozen in place and will no longer
rotate smoothly. This induces a vibration.
To check for this unbolt the flange and rotate the joint by hand.
My guess I'd that if the yokes are assembled correctly you have a almost
frozen u joint.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 9, 2012, at 0:17, "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl> wrote:

> Good question. But - the vibration is in for many years, but as the car's
mishap becomes a bit irritating.
> A few weeks ago the GT has been safety tested (bi-annual as it is a
classic).
> Play in the UJ's is always verified as part this safety test, so I assume
the joints are ok.

> Cheers,
> Hans
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Charley & Peggy Robinson"
<ccrobins@ktc.com>

that some vibrations between the speed of 50 and 70 m/h are caused by I think
an unbalanced driveshaft between the gearbox and the differential gear.
>>> What is the cause of this?
>>> Can this be rebalanced and if so - how?
>>> Is it easier to replace the driveshaft with a used one instead of
rebalancing the one, which is on the car?

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/richard.ewald@gmail.com