[Mgs] MGA Distributor Problems

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGA Distributor Problems
From: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:57:05 -0500
I recently had my DM2 distributor out of a MGA 1600 with a three main
1800 engine and encountered two problems.

1. When the points were adjuster to the farthest open setting, the cam
would still not open them.  I had experience intermittent  lack of power
on acceleration under load.

2.  I replaced the distributor with another used one.  When I set the
engine at TDC to static time the "new" distributor (DM2), the rotor
points 180 degrees away from the #1 wire.  The distributor drops in OK.
Of course the engine does nor start.  there is the occasional backfire
and rifle out out the tail pipe.  I even dropped in a spare 25D
distributor and it also points away from #1.

What is going on?
--
e-mail signature Robert Guinness