Re: [Mgs] Locating my rear end

To: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Locating my rear end
From: Larry Colen <lrc@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:43:45 -0800
Cc: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
On Nov 3, 2012, at 3:21 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:

> It occurred to me overnight that if the end of the rod nearest the front
spring mounting were free to move on the spring, given that the rod seems to
have rose joints, it wouldn't do anything at all.  Quite coincidentally a pal
emailed me with a discussion on RV8 rear suspension.  They have torque
control/anti-tramp arms on the rear suspension, and there are Moss and
Frontline kits as well.  The aftermarket kits have a similar bracket to the
ones on the left in your picture, but they bolt to the spring front mounting
bracket and the floor near it.  That makes a sort of parallelogram (ignoring
the curvature of the spring), which allows the axle to move up and down
freely, but prevents the axle twisting under high torque loads.

I think that this is exactly what it is.

For some reason, I had the idea that what I had bought were rods that
connected to the leaf springs where these do, and also to a point on the
chassis, in line with the leaf spring mount, but just out board of the drive
shaft, to triangulate the mount point and keep the axle from shifting side to
side.

Axle tramp was the major problem that I needed to solve.  Once I stiffened up
the front end with a second swaybar, I was keeping both tires on the ground
coming out of turns, and getting nasty axle tramp.

I'd like to change my tires, at least at the track from 195-60-14 to the much
more common 205-50-15, and also wanted to locate the axle side to side to
prevent rubbing.

--
Larry Colen lrc@red4est.com sent from i4est