[Mgs] Ring groove width tolerance

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Ring groove width tolerance
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 16:29:09 -0800 (PST)
Hello Friends,

When it comes to technical issues beyond my knowledge, I turn to you guys,
independent of the engine manufacturer.  The engine I'm building is a
Lotus-Ford Twin Cam from a '65 Elan S2.  Here's the story and the question;

Bore = 3.250"

First compression ring = 0.083" ring groove width, ring is designed for 0.078"
width.

Second compression ring = 0.079" ring groove width, which is within spec.

Oil ring = correct.

Lotus specifies that the groove width limit is 0.080" but that's for a new
engine.  My question is whether 0.005" is a little too large for an engine
destined for mild street motoring (with a few moments of spirited driving
tossed in).  Or am I going to have to source custom rings? :-o

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.  Respond off-list if desired.

-rick