Re: [Mgs] loctite question

To: Duvall Video Productions <mike@duvallvideo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 20:41:57 -0800
Cc: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
I would not use red.  When properly applied red is stronger than the thread
it is applied to.  Properly applied and cured red Loctite will strip the
male threads right off a stud/bolt.  I've done this trying to unscrew TR7
head studs  Double nutted them, no good.  Cleaned everything up, used
Loctite primer and red loctite.  Spun the threads right off the head stud,
which didn't budge.
Use green, it is better suited for this use.  Some car makers specified
green for use on rod cap and main nuts.
As far as temperature goes loctite is good to 450F at which point it turns
to powder.  This should not be an issue for a main stud.
Rick