Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:13:37 -0600
References: <mailman.1.1357498802.16526.mgs@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1357614817; bh=RhhTJ2Co2THr7CsA5LDJzD1mYXAa/Q1Q2B5VCFIE9q8=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=QZ0k1pckNpy+2SfLAX2+6XlHTMccxCNi6RISrJXX2OCBOizfP53KuVUEstDxXBFWd dD81BJY6Nr+RnK3mZKB32e+Fc9kCL4oG62VbELbGVp8E5h58djn90ht/FvA7SJ+u/m J92lvz92P2ZZHJP8g/MJqYZoI//wjezGG1hxhA+qZSdMswuvvMg6m2EmCfa+/cTru3 HcqfIJ1Eb5yiYzy2TAabyZ6djVtfyLrVGrWclj3txtI3bco26PHbzjQFIncIv9mFLZ fcg61XpBuYgeOo0xpbjKGLUzBI9/QAWHAGd1348Bo4QawPqXCRrnHKyfK03T6MBCo2 BacQ6wxbp3ifg==
I've been working on this same question on an XPEG. The response from
the old hands I've talked to has always been ' rearrange the nuts to
best fit and  then shave the bottom of the rest on  a glass plate to fit'.

My thought on that is 'what keeps the stud itself in place'? There's
never a torque value for bottoming the stud into the block. And there's
no mechanical device to keep the stud from backing out, so what's
keeping the whole assembly from backing out even with the cotter pin
through the castellated nut or nylock or whatever you're using on the
top side?

It's just one of those things that has puzzled me through the years -
what keeps a stud from backing out when the nut holding whatever it is
in place has a VERY specific torque value?

Moss's answer seems to be nylock nuts. I don't trust them. On top of
having to figure the friction value onto the eventual torque value, I'm
concerned about how the heat will affect the nylon over time. If I have
to go to a locking nut I should rather trust an aircraft nut which has a
metal-to-metal contact and I'd still have to factor in the friction to
the eventual torque value.

I've seen all kinds of discussion on specific torque values for heads,
main caps, conrods, etc. I've found nothing in any manual or discussion
about the proper torque for bottoming a stud. I'm sure I'm going to
excite all the engineers on the list by bringing this up, but why can't
I just back off the stud just a little bit to move the cotter pin hole
to meet the castle nut?

Glenn