Re: [Mgs] loctite question

To: "Andrew Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 08:46:23 -0000
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
That was to have been the basis of my next post, I can't believe those
engines were manufactured to such close tolerances that it always lined up
on an exact torque figure.  The MGB hub nut has a range of 40 to 70 ft lb.
You tighten it to 40, then if neither of the holes line up with any of the
castellations you keep tightening until something does, and that should
happen before 70 ft lb.  Going for the middle straight away would not be the
right way to go for a nut with a security feature such as split pin or wire.
How much are they out anyway?  Nothing wrong with Loctite or similar,
manufacturers have depended on that instead of wired nuts or split-pins for
donkey's years.  However it *may* be that those engines do need a positive
security locking.  I'd be asking somewhere like The Octagon Club.

PaulH.