Re: [Mgs] ZDDP

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZDDP
From: "gordies garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:21:20 -0500 s=q20121106; t=1357856460; bh=YJ/9ww2YRInStB9U5JaK+6zShD+R8G6Eh6t1Wvf0CJw=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=dK+2lV2rtA8iGBWKgMcaRk4LlpgwjDlBPX1JI408ye+tKXqEymOgScTQey1ekAuUk ugRFT/ru9EbET7d0BejBvGe0eMVt7PRbbZM4rPrGh6toNY2PkYVYfrotQtOflwTLQQ g/6W6x1rpyaQ3kw1bnjjFHIFyBljijUALmE7Jyo0VspSdsUGoxD2tvghjycAdgY1UG VkiX/bDPGM7lx23R03/9dXcMbExPuSCYVrIxDn7byPsmiuI2h6CCDhmLQivipGmS/x Yju8F8CC0jC1/bTYzXauMw9sIPzNy3DJYDvFl4xKbsqF4nWjKXZg2t7veNICtYUPPP dU8B6JMK4awVg==
There seems to be plenty of evidence of excessive cam wear all over the net.
I first heard of it in, maybe, 2004 or so.
A few years ago I was using Shell Rotella, a diesel oil, for higher ZDDP, but
they have since changed their formulation.   I switched to synthetic after the
Rotella went away and have not experienced any problems... yet.  By then, the
engine will need a rebuild anyway.

I believe that Little British Car Co. has an additive and possibly even a
specialty classic car oil available.

IMO, switching to full synthetic at anytime is about the single best thing you
can do to prolong life.

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA
couple of old Audis

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM,  <frankk12@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Max: I have never used synthetics and wonder about the wisdom of switching
>> when my engines have so many miles on them. I have heard stories of seals
>> leaking after such a switch.
>

> I think that the leaking issues was a problem with early synthetics.
> Not a problem now.
>
> Amsoil sells oils with a "high zinc formulationto prevent wear on
> flat-tappet camshafts". I don't know how "high" it is.
>
> Simon
>
>> Frank
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Heim" <mvheim@sonic.net>

>>> expensive ($8+/qt), but probably less expensive (and certainly less

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mg_garage@comcast.net