Re: [Mgs] bad cam diagnosis

To: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] bad cam diagnosis
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:57:57 -0600
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
For the 3-main bearing engines the cam gear, dizzy drive gear and oil
pump drive gear get oil by drain down from the head and by splash of
oil escaping from the rod bearings.  There is also an oil passage
from the low pressure oil gallery to top end of the bore holding the
spigot of the oil pump drive gear.  A bit of oil escaping at bottom
of this spigot bearing journal will dribble on the oil pump drive
gear, and some of this oil will be transfered to the cam gear.

The 5-main bearing engines have an additional drilling going at an
angle downward from the cavity above the oil pump drive gear spigot
to an escape point just above the cam gear.  This supplies oil
direcly onto the cam gear for supplimentary lubrication of the cam
gear and the mating gears for oil pump drive and distributor drive.