Re: [Mgs] Oil bummer

To: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Oil bummer
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 18:16:22 -0700
Cc: "Mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
On May 5, 2013, at 7:14 AM, PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com> wrote:

> Is that showing a new braided oil gauge hose?  Or is that the failed one? In
any event you are likely to get a lot more problems with new rubber than old.
Once my first heater valve failed the next one only lasted about five years,
same as rear slaves.  The bottom hose and the oil gauge hose still on the
roadster came with the car 23 years ago!

Sorry, was busy with Bloomsday (the reason I went to Spokane), so I couldn't
reply earlier.

The braided hose was the failed one. It failed right at the end that attaches
to the hard line to the gauge, and was spilling/spraying oil out down the line
and forward into the engine compartment.  All Four spark plug lines were
soaked, as was all the wiring for the heater fan, windscreen washer, the oil
filter, even the back of the alternator got a little.

All and all, I lost 3 quarts of oil and a little bit of trust in the car,
which is unfortunate. This hose was less than 13 years old, as I replaced the
previous one some time during the time I've owned it. I could look it up, I
suspect 2005 or so.

Does anybody sell a non-braided hose? Or are there any reasons to not go to
the local farm store and have them make me a line that might use materials
that hold up to their intended purpose?

At the moment, the engine side is capped, so I have no gauge, but also no
leaking hose.

--
Aaron