Re: [Mgs] Floating axle hub seals leaking

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Floating axle hub seals leaking
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 12:47:09 +0100
If you mean the rear hub nuts they are supposed to be 150 ft lb!  I wouldn't
replace the bearings unless they need it, they really need to be pressed off
and back on again, a much bigger job than replacing the oils seal.  If you
do replace the bearings then grease them prior to installation, even though
they run in axle oil.

Check the collar that the oil seal rides on, if that shows any damage i.e.
grooving they will need to be replaced.

The drum screws are only there to stop the drums falling off before the
wheels are fitted, the stud wheels hold the drums in the correct position
anyway.  I always slacken mine by a quarter-turn when refitting to stop them
seizing.

Rebound straps are very iffy, nothing more than elastic bands from most
places as they have no reinforcing.  If you are lucky they will stretch
until the axle is hanging on the dampers (assuming you have the dampers
fitted ...) but often they simply snap the first time they are asked to take
the weight of the axle.  Some time ago Moss US reckoned to have sourced
correct straps and a test rig to check them, but I've not heard anything
more about that.  I've reinforced mine with parcel strapping, but there are
braided ones available from Strapping Lad, although I've been told his
response to emails is iffy.

PaulH.