Re: [Mgs] Fan Relay fried...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fan Relay fried...
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 16:58:25 +0100
Yebutt ... North American cars never had the relay from the factory.  They
did eventually get the circuit breaker, but that should be able to switch on
and off repeatedly without causing any damage certainly to the wiring.
Frequent short pulses to the motor such that it never reaches full speed
could cause that to overheat (it draws more current while accelerating up to
full speed).  But in that case it would give inadequate cooling which should
be indicated on the temperature gauge.  I suppose if a relay were fitted (as
in this case (but see below)) it would eventually shorten the life of that
by arcing at the contacts eventually burning them and causing them to go
high-resistance as seems to be the case here.  But there were differently
rated rectangular relays, and using the wrong one in an application could
cause either the winding to burn out, or the contacts.  I don't know if the
same applied to the cylindrical type as here, but as I say from everything I
have heard, read and seen it shouldn't have a relay there anyway.

It's just occurred to me that this probably isn't a fan relay at all, but
the ignition relay.  That did supply the fan, as well as everything else.

PaulH.