Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 73, Issue 18

To: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 73, Issue 18
From: Tuck Southworth <tuck.southworth@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:37:59 -0400
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
The grommets are a pain to install.  I've had better luck using liquid dish
soap and putting the them in the surround first then using more soap to push
the oil hoses through.
Tuck

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 27, 2013, at 9:23 PM, Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 6/25/2013 12:00 PM, mgs-request@autox.team.net wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:02:47 -0500
>> From: "Ray Graham"<runner01@wowway.com>
>> To:<mgs@autox.team.net>
>> Subject: [Mgs] Oil Cooler Installation
>>
>> Guys:
>>
>> I have decided to install stainless steel oil cooler lines in my 66 MGB
and
>> probably the oil cooler unit.  Any tricks?  Suggestions?  What size nut is
>> on the cooler lines at the cooler?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>
> The most fun is going to be the the grommets in the radiator surround. If
you plan on using the old ones they will be very hard and hard to get out and
back in. I'd recommend going with new. And still it's a crashing bore. I've
been most successful with lots of silicon lube and putting them on to the hose
before snaking the hose through the surround and then using either a very
blunt flathead screwdriver or preferably, if you have one, a cotter pin
puller, you MAY be able to force the rubber through the sheet metal. Just
getting those things seated is a two ale job. It's not quite as much fun as
the rubber brick in the heater unit.

> IIR, the compression nut size is 7/8, but as mentioned you want to have a
wrench on the cooler side of the fitting as well.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/tuck.southworth@gmail.com