Re: [Mgs] alternator on 71 mgb

To: <1971mgb@cox.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] alternator on 71 mgb
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 09:12:00 +0100
If the light goes off when the plug is removed from the alternator (ignition
on) then the alternator is at fault.  With the engine running at about
2000rpm measure the voltage on the brown or white at the fusebox.  If it
only reads 12v then the alternator isn't charging.  If it reads about 14v
then it's charging, but there is still a problem with it.  The difference is
that if it's charging you can still use it while you source the best deal
for a replacement or repair.

PaulH.