Re: [Mgs] SU fuel pump availability

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] SU fuel pump availability
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:16:01 -0700
References: <mailman.1.1375984802.20642.mgs@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1376162174; bh=99QgIZ80n7pDO5GqzG5tg3Yo/DCK5m7sJi+7OEneklE=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=kZeNxqbuwzg8EKcVGE3pI4xX5O/pBNkRoLJPj+8bBS+jpVn+PncDkMXR7a+ufsE7Y Lt99OZoNxwCVS6lOeAyTea52K/ZTm2+krXiJCXnuolB69M4NTjs6yxh0N8gSwXuNLT I/8HtQQhrB+xxFbm9QWjy+TQwAHsOCDSz4FAQJ6U99G2PnE5oeYMWtx7vdIgmuDp9P lyHJhmUWbmLPFbBpttEa/qyOOyKD5CGO4GfhbI/KU4Lsjw3Xmqnww9oneBpOvqlWPx mK0lBFhMukrh4qKZgSPQUohoYRB2at6NKjJa20T2rularzwaIqyO8XJmhyK9/KLOtF 8rxoVW1HBPapA==
As for the hundreds of thousands out there now, I'd have to say that
"most" of them are probably fine in terms of ethanol compatibility and
the older the better. When I got the '67 redcar ten or twelve years ago,
it had what appeared to be the original on it. When it died it didn't
leak - the points just gave out. I had four more in the binand it was
easier to swap out than rebuild, so I took one from the XJ6 stash and
threw it in. It's been running fine every day for the past two or three
years, no prob with ethanol. The two in the XJ don't show any trouble
other than me not finding a suitable groundand they were new eight years
ago.

However, we've had a fair amount of customers that have had them
replaced over the past few yearsthey have been problems, so my guess is
that at some point Burlen changed materials in the wrong direction. I'm
glad they're addressing the problem - it's not like classic cars aren't
their prime market or anything like that. <;^)

Regarding compatibility between cars, Id have to say that it's more a
matter of plumbing and mounting than anything else.

Glenn