Re: [Mgs] Wheels

To: Rod Williams <PRNDL@sonic.net>, "Mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Wheels
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:15:09 -0400
Folks,\

I used powder coating on my Austin Healey, my MGB GT V8 and now on my
1957 Aston Martin.  I did every possible piece that could be done on
all three.  So I love the stuff,  It does wear well but just like a
layer of plastic which it sort of is.  If rust comes through it then
is was not cleaned properly before coating.  Trouble is these days
that NA "craftsmen" are taking up the same stance as today's
manufacturers - cheap and throw away mentality.    You have to find a
good powder coating shop.   The shop should have rubber plugs to fill
bolt holes and stop the coating inside the holes.  Make sure parts
that fit tightly are not done as it is a pain to get off.  The only
solvent that will work  is banned !!!   And there are different types
of coating - some "chalk" in sunlight, some gloss types lose the
gloss rapidly.  So go to an expert shop and explain where the part
goes.  I have seen wire wheels and disc wheels done at my shop and
they were spectacular.  My chap said he never gets complaints about
rust or chipping and his major business is hot rods and rice burners
who want spectacular wheels

At 05:00 PM 01/09/2013 -0700, Rod Williams wrote:
>On Sep 1, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Andrew Lundgren <lundgren@byu.net> wrote:
> > I thought the powder coat was supposed to be durable, that is why I was
>thinking of doing it.
>
>Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've had several items powder coated, some
>auto, some not. It's a *very* attractive finish but as I've discovered and
>been told by others is that it only works on surfaces that don't get much
>physical contact. It ends up being very much like a very thin porcelain
>coating. It was a complete disaster on the wheels I did. After two years they
>were chipped with rust under the paint where the chips happened. No amount of
>beer and time made it possible to get an acceptable touch-up to the chipped
>spots, not to mention the rust. I eventually had to have the wheels stripped
>and repainted with high quality conventional paint. They've been on the car
>for seven years now and look like new.
>Good luck.
>--
>Rod Williams
>Petaluma, California
>1967 MGB

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
www.AMFClub.com
www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca
barrie@look.ca