Re: [Mgs] Dead in the water

To: "Monte Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Dead in the water
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:35:56 +0100
Sounds like it wasn't charging so the battery is flat.  Could just be the
plug fallen out, I've never known an ignition warning light bulb fail.  Even
when they are disconnected in my experience a used alt will start to charge
when revved to 2-3000rpm or so, then charge normally down to the usual
600rpm or so, a useful 'get you home' feature when the problem is a
disconnection in the warning light circuit.

Get it started with a battery pack and measure the voltage on the brown at
the fusebox with it running at 2000rpm or so and you should see about 14.5v.
If you have removed the battery pack and yours does happen to be charging
and it was the battery flat for some reason it will probably be lower while
it charges your battery.  If you only see about 12.5v then it isn't
charging.  In which case check the voltage on the brown and brown/yellow
(ignition on) at the alternator plug.  You should see battery voltage on
both, if so it is almost certainly the alternator that has failed.  As a
final check you can earth the brown/yellow (be careful NOT to earth the
brown!) and check the warning light glows, ignition on.

PaulH.