Re: [Mgs] Crankshaft

To: <ccrobins@ktc.com>, "Glenn Schnittke" <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Crankshaft
From: <riverside@southslope.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:25:30 -0500
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

On 9/25/2013 7:27 PM, Glenn Schnittke wrote:
> The crank will fit. There was some reason I think the older slabside
> crank is a better design, but I can't think what it is right now. The
> only thing that changed, that I'm aware of,  was the shape of the
> counterweightsand I can't see how it would have been cheaperto retool
> for the angled onesso they must have had another reason. Less metal? New
> union steward?

The  MGB  GB/ GD/ GG/ ect. series crankshafts were cast  iron with two oil
feed holes .
The 18V cranks were forged steel with only one oil feed hole.
The cast crank is considered superior because of this , but the later crank
can have
the extra oil passages drilled.

Thanks to All for refreshing my failing memory and confirming my suspicions.
I dug into my organized storage (piles of parts) and found several
candidates for replacement.
Please keep the thread going as I found little about cranks in the archives.

Ron Sanborn