Re: [Mgs] Diff clunk surprise

Subject: Re: [Mgs] Diff clunk surprise
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:27:18 -0800
Cc: MGS List <mgs@autox.team.net>
On Nov 21, 2013, at 5:35 PM, Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com> wrote:

> Yep, a bit of wear there.  I'll suggest pulling the pinion and carefully
checking both
> bearings, possibly replacing.  If the thrust washers under the spider gears
shed a lot
> of metal the bearings could be trashed.  The carrier bearings will be a lot
easier to check.

At the advice of Mark here and a friend that saw the photo on facebook, I've
decided to replace the bearings wholesale.

This simple little project just went beyond my skill level.

I've got the axle removed and will send it off to a local rebuilder next week
(I hope). While I've got it out, I'll replace the rear spring bushings and
order new hydraulic lines from the rear flex line back.

The car looks a little forlorn sitting on jackstands with nothing under it,
but I wouldn't be driving it anyway. The weather is taunting me (30 and bright
blue skies), but the car is only partially insured (no liability) until
spring. So I've got plenty of time.

--
Aaron