[Mgs] Tires... Bah

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Tires... Bah
From: Max Heim <mvheim@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:41:56 -0700
Had a blowout on the freeway today, so I'm down one tire. There are several
annoying aspects to this.

1. Tread was fine on all 4, but now I am going to have to buy 4 new tires,
because...
2. ...this particular tire is no longer available (Sumitomo HTR 200).
3. Moreover, NO summer performance tire OF ANY BRAND is available in this
size (175/70R-14), so I can't even mix axles if I wanted to (IMO it would be
suicidal to mix summer hi-perf tires on one axle with an all-season tire on
the other, at the beginning of the rainy season, when I'm temporarily down
to one car).
4. The only tires available in 175/70-14 or 185/70-14 are all-season touring
tires (i.e. minivan/econobox tires).

Out of this extremely limited selection, does anyone have a recent
recommendation?

Treadwear is not a factor -- I don't think I've ever worn out a set of tires
on the MG. Old age or road hazards have killed them first.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149