Re: [Mgs] Advance curve for MGA 1500

To: "W. David Houser" <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>, "MGList List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Advance curve for MGA 1500
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 08:38:29 +0100
Distributor Doctor http://www.distributordoctor.com/ has spring sets for
named 25D4 distributors, for the MGB at least.

A huge amount of timing data here http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucas.pdf

But the thing to bear in mind is that even with the correct springs (or
making your own to meet the original factory curve), the fuel in use today
is very different from when these cars were originally specced by the
factory.  In the UK at least it is not unusual to be unable to run factory
specs without pinking, and it has to be retarded slightly, even with higher
octane fuels.

Unless he intends to spend a long time on a rolling road determining exactly
what curve his engine needs now on his fuel, he would be better off simply
setting the timing to give just the faintest trace of pinking when
accelerating from 30 to 50 at full throttle in top gear.

The other option is to get a programmable timing module, which uses a locked
distributor, then you can design your own curve.

PaulH.