Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

To: crk@godblessthe.us, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:11:55 -0500
--===============2149305584684811389==
 boundary="------------080304040107040303050702"

--------------080304040107040303050702

Sounds like you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings is
set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the spacer.
The more shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa. The shims
come in various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to combine i
order to arrive at the proper end play.

Suggest you buy the factory shop manual and read up on it.

CR

On 7/2/2015 2:50 PM, Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs wrote:

> Returning to our story?. The consensus for the wire wheel hubs was
> that the inner and outer bearings were to tightly crimp the
> single-chamfered spacer between them by pressing the bearings in. That
> makes the three pieces essentially one, strengthing the three into
> one, eliminating any side forces on the bearings. I took my two
> spindles and associated bearings and center spacer to the machine
> shop. Guy says that the outer bearing was loose in its proper
> placement and I agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and
> bearings. Ok. The second spindle, however, is a different story: he
> pressed the two bearing in to their limit shoulders and the inner
> spacer still was flopping around inside, absolutely not crimped in
> place. He and I don?t understand this problem. Any insight??? There is
> a quarter inch thick spacer that I read as being outside of the
> bearings. Or is this supposed to be inside??
>
> At this point, it looks like I will be ordering both spindle and
> bearings. Fortunately, Moss has the parts on sale:<)++++
>
> TIA,
>
> Clayton

--------------080304040107040303050702

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Sounds like you've left the shims out.  The end play of the bearings
    is set by the thickness of the shims between the bearings and the
    spacer.  The more shim thickness, the less end play and vice-versa.
    The shims come in various thicknesses, you select the thicknesses to
    combine i order to arrive at the proper end play.<br>
    Suggest you buy the factory shop manual and read up on it.<br>
    CR<br>
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:0df701d0b500$58889d40$0999d7c0$@godblessthe.us"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          the wire wheel hubs was that the inner and outer bearings were
          to tightly crimp the single-chamfered spacer between them by
          pressing the bearings in. That makes the three pieces
          essentially one, strengthing the three into one, eliminating
          any side forces on the bearings. I took my two spindles and
          associated bearings and center spacer to the machine shop. Guy
          says that the outer bearing was loose in its proper placement
          and I agree. He said the solution was a new spindle and
          bearings. Ok. The second spindle, however, is a different
          story: he pressed the two bearing in to their limit shoulders
          and the inner spacer still was flopping around inside,
          absolutely not crimped in place. He and I don?t understand
          this problem. Any insight??? There is a quarter inch thick
          spacer that I read as being outside of the bearings. Or is
          this supposed to be inside??<o:p></o:p></p>
          ordering both spindle and bearings. Fortunately, Moss has the
          parts on sale:&lt;)++++<o:p></o:p></p>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/ccrobins@ktc.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/ccrobins@ktc.com</a>
</pre>

--------------080304040107040303050702--