Re: [Mgs] fuel pump difficulties

To: crk@godblessthe.us
Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump difficulties
From: mgbob--- via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:26:27 GMT
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
Full-name: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
--===============3608559627026317885==

----__JWM__J718ca445.131e7682S.28ea173M

Hi Clayton,  The pump you pictured does have a filter, on the face that =
has the large round gasket behind the zinc-looking casting. See the diag=
ram D.3 in the workshop manual, item 55.   This filter will keep out chu=
nks of rust but will not stop water, as you have found.     When everyth=
ing is working right, the pump will push clean fuel, but the tank must b=
e clean too, and I wonder if air-drying the tank as you have done will s=
uffice.  You might dump a pint of alcohol in the tank, slosh it around, =
absorbing water and some dirt, then drain and dry again. If you have dry=
 compressed air, you might try that too, then put the tank into the sun =
for a few days.  Water would seem to be easy to get out of a tank; it's =
surprisingly difficult.   Have you replaced the flexible fuel lines?  If=
 not, consider new ones. The originals could be brittle now, and sloughi=
ng inside which will be increased by presence of fresh fuel.  If you saw=
 little black chunks in the float bowls or passages, it is fuel line mat=
erial. These lines are not under much pressure, 2.5-4.0 psi, but they ar=
e thoughtfully located over the exhaust manifold....Bob