Re: [Mgs] since we need traffic

To: Dave <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] since we need traffic
From: Richard Lindsay via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 08:03:35 -0600
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>

--001a11408008d37b0a0542fdded0

Thank you Dave. If we take only one point to heart from our recent posts
its simply this: Cars don't like to sit unused.

This is true of our MGs, Triumphs and Jaguars, but its equally true of
Italian cars! Carbs gum up, fuel gets old and stinky, oil seals dry and
shrink, coolant decays, evaporates and leaves antifreeze crystals
everywhere, and owner fun diminishes appreciably! And it happens to all
cars, indepent of their country of origin.

Before I appear to climb too far up on my high-horse, let me state: I too
am horrible about keeping my cars driven. Okay, my TD is a project and its
not drivable, but that beautifully restored XPAG engine hasn't run in over
a year! That's not good. And in fact, the SU jets are stuck in place, glued
there with old fuel gum. They are soon to get re-rebuilt - just as I
recently did to the SUs on my old Triumph.

Let me leave you with these words, to maybe make you feel better about your
car repairs. I just took one of my exotics for its 30k mile 'major
service'. It too had been setting un-driven for over a year. The work
includes two new cam belts, all hoses and ancillary belts, waterpump, spark
plugs, a flush and new coolant, new synthetic oil and filters (yes, two of
them), A/C recharge, and valve clearances checked and corrected, as
required. That's 48 valves, by the way! And the service requires 40 hours
of labor since its an engine-out service. And the cost of this work at the
Ferrari dealership is more than a nicely presented MGB might fetch!
Fortunately, there are qualified and dependable independent shops that will
do this work for about half what the dealer charges. Yea, don't let your
exotic sit untouched either!

Best regards to all,

-rick
PS: The Testarossa's service cost is being funded by the sale of another
car. Sad, really. :-(