Re: [Mgs] Oil Gallery Plug Leak

To: Stan Fickes <spridget@gmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Oil Gallery Plug Leak
From: Charley Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:08:30 -0500

--------------C89513DB7EAA767DFEB93DC3

I did a search on MGA 1600 oil gallery plugs, got lots of hits including
installation instructions.  There are some plugs with heads on them,
like a bolt.  One of them might work for you unless it absolutely has to
fit flush.

CR

On 9/13/2018 1:25 PM, Stan Fickes via Mgs wrote:
> I'm finishing the seemingly unending rebuild of an MGA 1600 motor, and
> am stuck with a leak. When I had a failure of a brass plug, I chose to
> replace the big plugs at the end of the long oil galleries with 1/4"
> NPT steel plugs. I tapped the bores, like I see advice for in many
> places, and installed the plugs. (I have since seen that the .505"
> bore is too large for the tapping operation, which should have started
> at 7/16", so that probably explains the leak.) I used Permatex Ultra
> Black on the plugs. Months later (did I say it seemed never-ending?) I
> installed the motor into the car and fired it up for the 20-minute cam
> installation run. It looked good at first, but after 20 minutes I have
> a foot-wide puddle of oil under the front crossmember. I pulled the
> motor back out and found the right-front plug was leaking. I removed
> the plug, then tried again using Avation Form-a-Gasket. No change to
> the leak. Tried it (from advice) with Permatex Thread Sealant with
> PTFE. The leak is slower, but still a problem. I am about to JB Weld
> the plug into place, but have concerns about its permanence. Will I be
> able to remove the plug at next rebuild, or at least have a machine
> shop do it without machining the block? Is there something else to try
> first? I have cut away the front plate to allow plug removal without
> disassembly, and am using a pre-oiler to pressurize the system so I
> don't need to R/R the motor with each attempt. It's out on a stand
> now, and will be until the leak is gone.
> Thanks!
> Stan

--------------C89513DB7EAA767DFEB93DC3

  <head>
  </head>
    I did a search on MGA 1600 oil gallery plugs, got lots of hits
    including installation instructions.  There are some plugs with
    heads on them, like a bolt.  One of them might work for you unless
    it absolutely has to fit flush.<br>
    CR<br>
      Mgs wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK23Kv9oHmWrY9tKA3083enp4Wyfn9Cog8akm=7-_jVODX5Dfw@mail.gmail.com">
[...]

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/charley38@twc.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/charley38@twc.com</a>
</pre>

--------------C89513DB7EAA767DFEB93DC3--

--===============7250065141494028891==