Re: [Mgs] A short tale of parts & service

To: mvheim@sonic.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] A short tale of parts & service
From: Dan DiBiase via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 06:56:41 -0400
Cc: mglist <mgs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000fc5dba0576c41518

A bummer that you couldn't participate in the melee, Max, I bet you were
disappointed. Good recovery by Moss, though.

Just tells you how fast these things spin, for a plastic blade to puncture
a metal radiator!

Dan D
'76B, '65B
Central NJ USA
http://dandibiase.cbintouch.com/

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:36 PM Max Heim via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> I haven=E2=80=99t said much on the list about my project. but I got my =
=E2=80=9Cnew=E2=80=9D 66 B
> roadster together in time for the start of the California Melee on Sept. =
8.
> Unfortunately, a blade flew off the new Moss plastic fan within the first
> ten miles and punctured the radiator, so that was as far as it got =E2=80=
=94 from
> the San Francisco Presidio to Marin Civic Center.
>
> I made the mistake of trying to get it to the next exit (it was a bad
> place to be on the shoulder, between the sound wall and 5 lanes of traffi=
> doing 75+), which resulted in overheating and a blown head gasket. Total
> mileage to failure on this fan was 307 miles.
>
> Subsequent examination of the stub revealed an air pocket in the plastic
> right at the center of the base of the blade. Moss accepted my photo of
> this as evidence of a manufacturing flaw. This model of fan was already o=
ut
> of production (and out of warranty) =E2=80=94 I had purchased it as part =
of a large
> order back in 2015 when the car body was still in the paint shop.
>
> But regardless, they decided to send me a new fan ("new model" nylon
> 7-blade fan) and a new aluminum radiator (the shop had told me mine was
> irreparable). I thought this was pretty decent of them.
>
> I just picked up my head at the machine shop where they had skimmed the
> surface and cleaned up the valves. In the meantime I had inspected the
> lifters based on a tip from Dave at British Motorsports in Campbell and
> found a few of them were showing pitting. By replacing them now I can sav=
> the cam.
>
> Now I just need to pick up the lifters and the gasket set and I should be
> able to have it back together this weekend.
>
> A few tips based on my experience:
>
> 1. Just shut it down. If I had stayed out on the freeway verge I would
> have saved the head gasket, and AAA would have picked me up in a timely
> manner. But since I had reported myself =E2=80=9Csafe=E2=80=9D and off th=
e highway, it took
> 4 hours to get a tow.
>
> 2. Check your lifters every so often. I had replaced the cam and lifters
> due to lifter spalling sometime between 1998 and 2010. The new lifters we=
re
> just starting to pit in 2018.
>
> 3. If you have a yellow plastic 7-bladed fan from Moss USA purchased prio=
> to mid-2015, you may want to consider retiring it. I suppose if it hasn=
=E2=80=99t
> broken so far, it probably doesn=E2=80=99t have air bubbles in a critical=
 location.
> But they had perhaps a dozen reported incidents. The current product bein=
> sold as part #434-332 is a different pattern by a different maker in a
> different material, so should not be a cause for worry.

> [...]

ax, I bet you were disappointed. Good recovery by Moss, though.=C2=A0<div><=
br></div><div>Just tells you how fast these things spin, for a plastic blad=
"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=
=3D"ltr"><a href=3D"http://dandibiase.cbintouch.com/"; target=3D"_blank">htt=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:36=
 PM Max Heim via Mgs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mgs@autox.team.net";>mgs@autox.te=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D=
"word-wrap:break-word"><div>I haven=E2=80=99t said much on the list about m=
y project. but I got my =E2=80=9Cnew=E2=80=9D 66 B roadster together in tim=
e for the start of the California Melee on Sept. 8. Unfortunately, a blade =
flew off the new Moss plastic fan within the first ten miles and punctured =
the radiator, so that was as far as it got =E2=80=94 from the San Francisco=
mistake of trying to get it to the next exit (it was a bad place to be on t=
he shoulder, between the sound wall and 5 lanes of traffic doing 75+), whic=
h resulted in overheating and a blown head gasket. Total mileage to failure=
 of the stub revealed an air pocket in the plastic right at the center of t=
he base of the blade. Moss accepted my photo of this as evidence of a manuf=
acturing flaw. This model of fan was already out of production (and out of =
warranty) =E2=80=94 I had purchased it as part of a large order back in 201=
ut regardless, they decided to send me a new fan (&quot;new model&quot; nyl=
on 7-blade fan) and a new aluminum radiator (the shop had told me mine was =
he surface and cleaned up the valves. In the meantime I had inspected the l=
ifters based on a tip from Dave at British Motorsports in Campbell and foun=
d a few of them were showing pitting. By replacing them now I can save the =
e gasket set and I should be able to have it back together this weekend.</d=
iv><div>1. Just shut it down. If I had stayed out on the freeway verge I wo=
uld have saved the head gasket, and AAA would have picked me up in a timely=
 manner. But since I had reported myself =E2=80=9Csafe=E2=80=9D and off the=
heck your lifters every so often. I had replaced the cam and lifters due to=
 lifter spalling sometime between 1998 and 2010. The new lifters were just =
c 7-bladed fan from Moss USA purchased prior to mid-2015, you may want to c=
onsider retiring it. I suppose if it hasn=E2=80=99t broken so far, it proba=
bly doesn=E2=80=99t have air bubbles in a critical location. But they had p=
erhaps a dozen reported incidents. The current product being sold as part #=
434-332 is a different pattern by a different maker in a different material=
indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;word-wra=
p:break-word"><div style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);letter-spacing:normal;text-ali=
gn:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacin=
g:0px;word-wrap:break-word"><div style=3D"margin:0px;font-size:13px">--</di=
v><div style=3D"margin:0px;font-size:13px;min-height:16px">Max Heim</div><d=
/a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs"; rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><br>
se@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/ma=