Re: [Mgs] MGA crankcase ventilation

To: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA crankcase ventilation
From: Stan Fickes via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:05:00 -0400
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

--000000000000a5f1fb058da8d2e8

Thanks, Paul!
I concluded when I cranked the motor with no plugs installed and still felt
the pulsing air that it was not a compression issue. For completeness, I
need to try the same thing with the plugs installed, to see if there is a
difference. I just can't think what else would pump air into the
crankcase/rocker cover! I checked the draught tube this afternoon by
squirting some low-pressure air into the rocker cover tube, and felt a
gentle stream of air out the bottom. I should also check that with the
starter motor turning to see if it's consistent between the two tubes.
Thanks!
Stan

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 4:31 AM PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
wrote:

> IME you should always hear some hissing when putting compressed air into a
> cylinder, ring sealing isn't perfect.
>
> Removing one plug at a time may show which cylinder or cylinders are at
> fault if the pulsing lessens.
>
> Air pulsing out of the rocker cover definitely indicates a major
> compression leak from somewhere, despite your compression readings.
>
> Having said that AFAIK an MGA should also have a 'road draught tube'
> hanging down from the front tappet chest cover, which is another route for
> air to pass in and out of the crankcase.  Perhaps that is blocked.
>
> PaulH.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- kcase ventilation
>
> I have an MGA 1600, under 2,000 miles since the engine rebuild. While
> working on an unrelated issue, I discovered that the front air filter was
> thoroughly soaked in oil. The source was the vent hose between the air
> filter and the valve cover. I found significant (to my lack of experience
> with this system!) pulsing air blowing through the hose at idle.

--000000000000a5f1fb058da8d2e8

h no plugs installed and still felt the pulsing air that it was not a compr=
ession issue. For completeness, I need to try the same thing with the plugs=
 installed, to see if there is a difference. I just can&#39;t think what el=
se would pump air into the crankcase/rocker cover! I checked the draught tu=
be this afternoon by squirting some low-pressure air into the rocker cover =
tube, and felt a gentle stream of air out the bottom. I should also check t=
hat with the starter motor turning to see if it&#39;s consistent between th=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at =
4:31 AM PaulHunt73 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulhunt73@virginmedia.com"; target=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px sol=
id rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

=20
compressed air into a cylinder, ring sealing isn&#39;t perfect.</font></div=

r=20
cylinders are at fault if the pulsing lessens.</font></div>
ndicates=20
a major compression leak from somewhere, despite your compression=20
readings.=C2=A0 </font></div>
;road draught=20
tube&#39; hanging down from the front tappet chest cover, which is another =
route for=20
air to pass in and out of the crankcase.=C2=A0 Perhaps that is=20
blocked.</font></div>
ing-right:0px;margin-left:5px;margin-right:0px">
  ventilation</div>
ebuild.=20
  While working on an unrelated issue, I discovered that the front air filt=
er=20
  was thoroughly soaked in oil. The source was the vent hose between the ai=
r=20
  filter and the valve cover. I found significant (to my lack of experience=
 with=20
  this system!) pulsing air blowing through the hose at=20

--000000000000a5f1fb058da8d2e8--

--===============6226857275372117030==