Re: [Mgs] Starters

To: "Richard Lindsay" <richardolindsay@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Starters
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:57:17 -0000 yTK3ht1aZ/zJIvG0epNGV1j8BW34tZIvnNoPDZa/y3GLKi2G6x9n4lZ8T9f+pmhZcuC+6tX3tdqid7nriGs3NmQniu7lVPuiQAo=

--===============1945341611596446539==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00EB_01D5D134.3D6DAC80"

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01D5D134.3D6DAC80
        charset="UTF-8"

Yes and no.  Fitted it and turned the key and just got a whirr, heart =
sank as it sounded like the pinion wasn't engaging ... then the engine =
burst into life!  They really do fulfil all the claims made for them - =
less load on the battery, faster cranking, easier starting and less =
noise.  The only down-side is the cost being about three times that for =
a standard starter for the MGB at least.  The problem I had was it was =
an early one and the starter was only attached to the adapter plate with =
three self-tappers and some super-glue!  Needless to say it came apart =
in about a week and I replaced it with a conventional.

You do have to be careful with the term 'hi-torque' though.  Some =
vendors use this term for a modern version of a NON-geared starter.  =
They are slightly better all round than the originals but not as good as =
the geared.  However for the MGB in the UK they are even cheaper than a =
rebuilt original as they are used on dozens of makes and models.

With geared starters the solenoid is huge and in line with the pinion - =
look for the battery cable stud, it is the motor that is on the side and =
not much bigger.  With non-geared hi-torque the motor is in line with =
the pinion as normal, but smaller, and the solenoid is on the side and =
much smaller but about the same size as on the original starters.

You also have to check the number of pinion teeth is compatible, and a =
pre-engaged 'push' starter can be used to replace an inertia starter on =
the MGB at least.

One thing if you have a ballasted ignition system is does an alternative =
starter have the correct bypass contact on the solenoid?  Geared tend =
not to, non-geared tend to.  It's not a show-stopper, and alternative =
arrangements can be made if you need it.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
     Have any of you used the high torque gear reduction starters? If =
so, happy with them. My E-Type has decided to 'click' rather than start. =
The classic whack with a hammer hasn't helped. And since it's its an =
automatic, I can't roll-start it.

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01D5D134.3D6DAC80
        charset="UTF-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Yes and no.&nbsp; Fitted it and turned the key and =
just got a=20
whirr, heart sank as it sounded like the pinion wasn't engaging ... then =
the=20
engine burst into life!&nbsp; They really do fulfil all the claims made =
for them=20
- less load on the battery, faster cranking, easier starting and less=20
noise.&nbsp; The only down-side is the&nbsp;cost being about three times =
that=20
for a standard starter for the MGB at least.&nbsp; The problem I had was =
it was=20
an early one and the starter was only attached to the adapter plate with =
three=20
self-tappers and some super-glue!&nbsp; Needless to say it came apart in =
about a=20
week and I replaced it with a conventional.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You do have to be careful with the term 'hi-torque'=20
though.&nbsp; Some vendors use this term for a modern version of a =
NON-geared=20
starter.&nbsp; They are slightly better all round than the originals but =
not as=20
good as the geared.&nbsp; However for the MGB in the UK they are even =
cheaper=20
than a rebuilt original as they are used on dozens of makes and=20
models.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With geared starters the solenoid is huge and in =
line with the=20
pinion - look for the battery cable stud, it is the motor that is on the =
side=20
and not much bigger.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT size=3D2>With non-geared =
hi-torque the=20
motor is in line with the pinion as normal, but smaller, and the =
solenoid is on=20
the side and much smaller but about the same size as on the original=20
starters.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You also have to check the number of pinion teeth is =

compatible, and a pre-engaged 'push' starter can be used to replace an =
inertia=20
starter on the MGB at least.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>One thing if you have a ballasted ignition system is =
does an=20
alternative starter have the correct bypass contact on the =
solenoid?&nbsp;=20
Geared tend not to, non-geared tend to.&nbsp; It's not a show-stopper, =
and=20
alternative arrangements can be made if you need it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<B>Have=20
  any of you used the high torque gear reduction starters?</B> If so, =
happy with=20
  them. My E-Type has decided to 'click' rather than start. The classic =
whack=20
  with a hammer hasn't helped. And since it's its an automatic, I can't=20
  roll-start it.</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dauto><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>