Re: [Mgs] Engine maths...and spare time

To: "Richard Lindsay" <richardolindsay@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Engine maths...and spare time
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:36:37 -0000 Ej+6x25zJ+b1sD63Vx/a10XTFY/5WZPr8U15AzNAA4kcRWQaqvd8Y9dTveLeYb5pb/imaStSQ89VLd6RVmEGf/f2TR1rJu7NGjE=

--===============0694672416690290142==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0120_01D60505.E7722080"

------=_NextPart_000_0120_01D60505.E7722080
        charset="utf-8"

"at idle 100% of the available power is used to overcome the friction =
and other forces that exist at idle speed"

Most of what the engine is doing at idle is as a vacuum pump, generating =
about 16 in Hg. or so in the intake manifold, and is why when you =
introduce an intake vacuum leak the idle speed goes up.  This may be =
included in your 'other forces' above.

Whist there may well be a most efficient point to start combustion and =
the flame front, the prime consideration has to be avoiding spontaneous =
combustion at any point, i.e. pinking or detonation.  As the flame front =
travels pressure inside the engine is rising, but after TDC the volume =
available is reducing, which tends to counteract the pressure increase.  =
There is also the effect of leverage i.e. the angle the con rod makes =
relative to the piston.

I'm certainly not going to check your maths, a specific engine is what =
it is, and the timing has to be set taking those specifics into account =
plus other factors like fuel grade and type.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----=20