Re: [Mgs] MGA FRONT DISC BRAKES

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA FRONT DISC BRAKES
From: "dave" <dave@ranteer.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 21:17:47 -0500
+1 on that

-----Original Message-----
From: Mgs <mgs-bounces@autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Eric Russell
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 1:19 PM
To: mgs@autox.team.net; Thomas Gunderson <thgun@comporium.net>

 > Where can I find info on converting shoe to disc on the front od a
1957 mga rst 1500?

Barney answered your question but I want to ask one.

Why? Unless you are routinely careening down mountain roads the MGA drum brakes
are more than adequate for  a street driven MGA. Even many vintage raced MGAs
do not convert to discs (even when they are allowed to do so). The limiting
factor for stopping distance will always be tire traction. Put your money into
good tires (most MGA size tires are for economy cars and not sports cars) and I
think you'll find the brakes are fine. This of course assumes drum
brakes/linings/etc are all in good condition. Which, with brakes being very
high on the List of Important Things, they should be.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC