Re: [Mgs] 72 MGB windows

To: "Robert's New iPad" <mgbobh@gmail.com>, "dave" <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 72 MGB windows
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:18:47 +0100 fKDBzMaYfBfOrPP05cQk7igQl8A9e5Nchb108dxpefLZJSkWFfSFD2uluiThWYDLpclwNC/cZxE5SliGrJkRRVVlByK0vm5v5SKrCO8ePtWVHnIxtdz2zSj0
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

--===============2758241838016065116==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002C_01D7A3C0.FB609C60"

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D7A3C0.FB609C60
        charset="utf-8"

I second all of this with one exception.  I'm not aware of any alignment =
available for the quarter-light as the four bolts and screws pull it =
down onto the top of he door and forwards into the corner.  The only =
adjustment after that is at the bottom of the long leg to control how =
the Q/L tilts sideways to line up with the screen upright, which has =
little or no effect on the operation of the drop-glass.

The rear channel *is* adjustable, if it's not in close enough to the =
glass that could be allowing it to tilt and/or come out of the front =
channel, but if you press it in too far it makes the glass stiff to =
move.  Chewed Q/L channel runner is perhaps the most likely after that.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
     I can not ascertain the cause of the problem from the pictures.  My =
experience has been that the glass must be snug enough in the guides so =
that it does not =E2=80=98rock=E2=80=99 as it moves vertically.=20
    The front guide is part of the vent window assembly. This is set =
first, set so that the vent window closes uniformly against the =
windscreen.  Once that is set, the rear guide is adjusted to snug the =
glass just enough for smooth movement.
     Once these are set so that the glass moves smoothly, you can reduce =
the friction a bit by a few short shots of silicone in the fuzz of the =
guides.
     And, while the door is open, put a drop of oil on each of the many =
pivots in the parallelogram linkage, and the winder shaft, and a bit of =
white grease on the winder gears.
------=_NextPart_000_002C_01D7A3C0.FB609C60
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3Dcontent-type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dauto bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I second all of this with one exception.&nbsp; I'm not aware of any =

alignment available for the quarter-light as the four bolts and screws =
pull it=20
down onto the top of he door and forwards into the corner.&nbsp; The =
only=20
adjustment after that is at the bottom of the long leg to control how =
the Q/L=20
tilts sideways to line up with the screen upright, which has little or =
no effect=20
on the operation of the drop-glass.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The rear channel *is* adjustable, if it's not in close enough to =
the glass=20
that could be allowing it to tilt and/or come out of the front channel, =
but if=20
you press it in too far it makes the glass stiff to move.&nbsp; Chewed =
Q/L=20
channel runner is perhaps the most likely after that.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PaulH.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp; &nbsp;I can not ascertain the cause of the =
problem from=20
  the pictures. &nbsp;My experience has been that the glass must be snug =
enough=20
  in the guides so that it does not =E2=80=98rock=E2=80=99 as it moves =
vertically.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp; The front guide is part of the vent window =
assembly. This=20
  is set first, set so that the vent window closes uniformly against the =

  windscreen. &nbsp;Once that is set, the rear guide is adjusted to snug =
the=20
  glass just enough for smooth movement.</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp; &nbsp;Once these are set so that the glass moves =
smoothly,=20
  you can reduce the friction a bit by a few short shots of silicone in =
the fuzz=20
  of the guides.</DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp; &nbsp;And, while the door is open, put a drop of =
oil on=20
  each of the many pivots in the parallelogram linkage, and the winder =
shaft,=20
  and a bit of white grease on the winder gears.</DIV><!--[if gte mso =
9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>