Re: [Mgs] pulling engine and transmission

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] pulling engine and transmission
From: Larry Colen <lrc@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:16:36 -0700
What is the goal of the job?  Engine rebuild? New clutch?

One step that isnâ??t in the shop manual but which can be very helpful is that
before you undo any fasteners, take pictures of the area, then take pictures of
the fasteners. This has saved my butt on a few occasions when I didnâ??t
remember which was the 5/16x1 and which place was the 5/16x1-1/4 bolts.

My general procedure:

Disconnect the battery

Drain the radiator

If youâ??ll be disassembling the motor, drain the oil.

Disconnect the cables

Label and photograph any electrical connectors as I take them off.

Start at top and front disconnecting things as you go.

If you donâ??t like mess, put something to catch coolant and or oil as you pull
things like the radiator.

If you have egg cartons or the like, they can be great for keeping bolts
separate and organized as you go.
Sometimes it is handy to put fasteners back in the holes in the bulkhead so
they are there when you need them.

I also like to clean all the fasteners and maybe chase the threads.  Iâ??ll use
one of my little parts dip cans for that then rinse off the bolts with B-12
spraying into the can.

--
Larry Colen
lrc@red4est.com