Re: [Mgs] 80B, melted white-green wire from ignition switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 80B, melted white-green wire from ignition switch
From: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com> aoyH6RG2y9cTy2P2VR8ozaWO/HxGahGJlAd7ozFIO3Pg07vHjJBZJntFscD7zAnKy79/w0iwBtC6CaTAXVKwPA12yY8hkqjeFJg=
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 08:22:12 +0100
References: <661B54CB-60CC-439C-B7B4-F86C83CFBE5C@ucalgary.ca> <85DFECF2-AEE7-4C47-B8BC-530346060E71@gmail.com> <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAAJAi5C+WBKREpYgZuDHJbjsBAMO2jhD3dRHOtM0AqgC7tuYAAAAAAA4AABAAAABmxw+0+NklRLPtrtTKhv8MAQAAAAA=@hartcom.net> <001a01d8629f$7fb54d60$7f1fe820$@planet.nl> <40e6593a-e23f-523c-82a8-9737a051d61e@shoyer.com> <306eddaa-9a8f-cc3f-eb9b-de95980ea17d@shoyer.com> <002201d87527$3749fe00$a5ddfa00$@planet.nl> <B9E49259-49D2-4C67-A0E8-689E9758F62F@gmail.com>

--------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ

A bad engine/gearbox earth strap will cause the heater, choke and
accelerator cables to get hot but not 'fry' them in the same way that
electrical wires do when they short, and it won't cause the heater cable
to become disconnected.   In theory the temp gauge capillary would be
affected as well but I've never heard of it. You would be unlucky for a
disconnected heater cable to cause a short, most electrical connections
should be protected as there are a lot more earthed metal parts behind
the dash than just that cable.  I often see the backs of bullets
sticking out of the connector sheath because they haven't been pushed
home properly, but the plastic sheaths on the connectors available today
slide and can expose even correctly fitted bullets, unlike the rubber
sheaths on originals.  I did hear of someone blowing a braided clutch
hose when the earth strap failed.  They had been aware of slow cranking
for a while but didn't investigate it properly ...

As someone once said "Listen to your car, it is talking to you." I.e.
get used to how you car sounds, feels, looks, smells  and investigate
any changes BEFORE you get a breakdown.

PaulH.

On 31/05/2022 21:06, Robert's New iPad wrote:
>       Fried heater cable is usually because the earth strap(s) from engine to
> body are not conducting properly.
>       I have two on my GT, and check their fasteners a couple of times each
> year.
> Bob

--------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ

  <head>
  </head>
      accelerator cables to get hot but not 'fry' them in the same way
      that electrical wires do when they short, and it won't cause the
      heater cable to become disconnected.   In theory the temp gauge
      capillary would be affected as well but I've never heard of it.
      You would be unlucky for a disconnected heater cable to cause a
      short, most electrical connections should be protected as there
      are a lot more earthed metal parts behind the dash than just that
      cable.  I often see the backs of bullets sticking out of the
      connector sheath because they haven't been pushed home properly,
      but the plastic sheaths on the connectors available today slide
      and can expose even correctly fitted bullets, unlike the rubber
      sheaths on originals.  I did hear of someone blowing a braided
      clutch hose when the earth strap failed.  They had been aware of
      slow cranking for a while but didn't investigate it properly ...</p>
      I.e. get used to how you car sounds, feels, looks, smells  and
      investigate any changes BEFORE you get a breakdown.</p>
        Roman&quot;; font-size: large; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-thickness:
        initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"></span></p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:B9E49259-49D2-4C67-A0E8-689E9758F62F@gmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">       Fried heater cable is usually
because the earth strap(s) from engine to body are not conducting properly.
        I have two on my GT, and check their fasteners a couple of times each
year.
Bob
</pre>

--------------VeOluzuRYi4QYedhX08MCuGZ--