Re: [Mgs] MGA 1600 seat back threaded bolt size

To: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>,mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA 1600 seat back threaded bolt size
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 23:52:52 -0600

--=====================_452188234==.ALT

Robert, --- I'll give it my best shot.

The Service Parts List does not break it down to=20
the level of that bolt.  The Seat Assembly -Less=20
Cushion includes the two-piece frame and the pivot bolts.

The bolt is actually a shoulder bolt.  It passes=20
freely through the hole in the seat back rest, so=20
the backrest will hinge on the shoulder bolts=20
when the bolts are fixed in place.  I think there=20
is also supposed to be a thin thrust washer in between the moving parts.

The upstanding ears on the seat base frame are=20
supposed to be threaded.  Pretty sure it is=20
5/16-24-UNF thread.  The shoulder bolt screws in=20
until the shoulder hits the bracket, and it stops=20
turning.  Then the nut is installed inside and=20
screws on until the nut hits the ear and=20
stops.  Tighten gently, as it is a jam nut to fix=20
the shoulder bolt in place.  If the female thread=20
was stripped out of the ear, the shoulder bolt=20
may hold in place anyway, as long as the nut is=20
secure.  I don't remembwr if the thrust washer=20
should be trapped under the bolt shoulder, or if=20
the washer fits free spinning over the shoulder.

So there is no factory specified part number for=20
that bolt in the SPL, although there surely was a=20
real part number at the factory.  It would be=20
nice if someone could find that part number, but=20
the world has effectively done without it for 67 years.

I wouldn't mind making a drawing of the bolt,=20
just that I don't have one in hand to measure at=20
the moment.  I suppose I could take my car apart=20
to "borrow" one long enough to measure=20
it.  Problem is. my seats are not original,=20
having been replaced with new assemblies from=20
Moss Motors a few years ago.  With my luck the new bolts might even be=
 metric.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

At 10:00 PM 6/17/2022, Robert J. Guinness wrote:
>The MGA 1600 seat backs are attached at their=20
>base by a threaded bolt that screws into=20
>threaded holes in the frame base and finishes=20
>with a nut to hold it all together at the pivot=20
>point.=C2  Does anyone know the dimensions of that=20
>bolt?=C2  It is not in Moss's exploded diagram or=20
>the MG 1600 Factory Service Parts List.
>
>Robert Guinness

--=====================_452188234==.ALT

The Service Parts List does not break it down to the level of that
bolt.&nbsp; The Seat Assembly -Less Cushion includes the two-piece frame
and the pivot bolts.<br><br>
The bolt is actually a shoulder bolt.&nbsp; It passes freely through the
hole in the seat back rest, so the backrest will hinge on the shoulder
bolts when the bolts are fixed in place.&nbsp; I think there is also
supposed to be a thin thrust washer in between the moving parts.<br><br>
The upstanding ears on the seat base frame are supposed to be
threaded.&nbsp; Pretty sure it is 5/16-24-UNF thread.&nbsp; The shoulder
bolt screws in until the shoulder hits the bracket, and it stops
turning.&nbsp; Then the nut is installed inside and screws on until the
nut hits the ear and stops.&nbsp; Tighten gently, as it is a jam nut to
fix the shoulder bolt in place.&nbsp; If the female thread was stripped
out of the ear, the shoulder bolt may hold in place anyway, as long as
the nut is secure.&nbsp; I don't remembwr if the thrust washer should be
trapped under the bolt shoulder, or if the washer fits free spinning over
the shoulder.<br><br>
So there is no factory specified part number for that bolt in the SPL,
although there surely was a real part number at the factory.&nbsp; It
would be nice if someone could find that part number, but the world has
effectively done without it for 67 years.<br><br>
I wouldn't mind making a drawing of the bolt, just that I don't have one
in hand to measure at the moment.&nbsp; I suppose I could take my car
apart to &quot;borrow&quot; one long enough to measure it.&nbsp; Problem
is. my seats are not original, having been replaced with new assemblies
from Moss Motors a few years ago.&nbsp; With my luck the new bolts might
even be metric.<br><br>
Barney Gaylord<br>
1958 MGA with an attitude<br>

</a>At 10:00 PM 6/17/2022, Robert J. Guinness wrote:<br>
The MGA 1600 seat backs are attached at their base by a threaded bolt
that screws into threaded holes in the frame base and finishes with a nut
to hold it all together at the pivot point.=C2&nbsp; Does anyone know the
dimensions of that bolt?=C2&nbsp; It is not in Moss's exploded diagram or
the MG 1600 Factory Service Parts List.<br>
Robert Guinness<br>

--===============6750640478719412774==